To properly digest the food we eat, our digestive system requires a small amount of hydrochloric acid and other digestive juices. This breakdown process allows our bodies to absorb the energy from the food we consume, which is essential for all bodily functions.
Unfortunately, when the stomach produces too much hydrochloric acid, and it’s not used in the digestion process, it can lead to discomfort and a general feeling of restlessness, known as acid dyspepsia. Other symptoms include heartburn, acid reflux, nausea, vomiting, and even sour belching. Moreover, acidity can also result in severe constipation.
The primary causes of acidity are usually poor dietary habits and a lack of physical activity. However, there are several home remedies you can try to alleviate these symptoms, although a change in diet and lifestyle may be necessary for a permanent solution. Here are some natural remedies that may provide you with relief from the discomforts of acidity:
Home Remedies for Acidity
Spearmint for Acidity
In most cases, acidity is caused by indigestion. In such cases, spearmint can be used as a remedy. Although mint leaves are known to cure indigestion, they should be avoided by those with heartburn as they can relax the esophageal valve and worsen symptoms. However, spearmint is a safe option as it contains less menthol than peppermint and can help reduce symptoms of nausea and digestive problems by relaxing the stomach muscles.
How to Make Mint Tea for Acidity Relief:
- 5-8 spearmint leaves
- 1 cup hot water
- 1-2 tsp honey (optional)
- Put the mint leaves in a cup.
- Pour hot water over the leaves.
- Let it steep for 5 minutes.
- Strain or leave the leaves in the tea.
- Add honey, if desired.
- Drink the tea after meals.
Treat Acidity with Coconut Water
Coconut water from a tender coconut is a refreshing drink that’s good for your health, especially if you have acidity. When you drink it, it helps balance the acid levels in your body, giving you quick relief from discomfort. Not only does it help with acidity, but it’s also packed with good things for your body like natural sugars, minerals like potassium and calcium, vitamins, and small amounts of protein.
How to Drink Coconut Water for Acidity:
Drink pure coconut water 3-4 times a day, about a cup each time. Start your day with a cup and continue throughout the day if you like. Avoid flavored or sweetened coconut water and choose the natural form instead. If you can, drink it straight from a tender coconut for the best results.
Lemon Juice for Acidity Relief
Lemon juice is a natural antacid, thanks to its citric acid content. It helps to neutralize the acidic environment in the body, relieving acidity. Although lemon juice is acidic in its natural state (with a pH below 7), once metabolized in the body, it becomes alkaline, raising the pH above 7.
How to Use Lemon Juice for Acidity:
- Mix the juice of half a lemon in a glass of warm water and drink it on an empty stomach in the morning. You can add honey if desired.
- Mix the juice of half to one lemon in a half glass of water and drink before meals. You can add honey or sugar if desired.
How to Use Ginger for Acidity Relief
Ginger is known for its alkalizing properties, which can help balance the body’s pH levels and provide relief from acidity. Here’s how to make ginger tea for acidity relief:
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger
- 1 cup of hot water
- Honey or sugar (optional), to taste
- Wash, peel, and slice the ginger.
- Place the ginger in a pot.
- Pour hot water over it.
- Let it steep for 5-10 minutes.
- Strain and add sweetener if desired.
- Drink 2-3 times a day.
Note: If you cannot tolerate the taste of ginger tea, there is another option to take ginger in the form of powder. However, additional ingredients are required.
Basil Leaves for Acidity Relief
Basil, also known as holy tulsi, is a powerful digestive agent due to its components that stimulate the production of mucous in the stomach. This helps reduce the effect of peptic acids and prevent excessive acidity. Additionally, basil leaves can also help relieve gas and bloating.
Here are two ways to use basil leaves for acidity relief:
- Chewing: After meals, take 5-6 washed basil leaves and chew them slowly.
- Basil paste: Crush 8-10 washed basil leaves and add the paste to a glass of lukewarm water. Drinking this mixture can help relieve acidity pain and provide overall relief.
Fennel for Acidity Relief
Fennel is a popular digestive aid in India, and for good reason. Its carminative properties help soothe the digestive tract and reduce acidity, heartburn, constipation, gas, bloating, and indigestion. The herb contains volatile oil composed of active components like fenchone, trans-anethole, limonene, and a-pinene, which give it its soothing effects.
Ways to Use Fennel for Acidity Relief
- Chew 1⁄4 to 1⁄2 teaspoon of fennel seeds after meals.
- Mix 1 tsp of fennel tincture with a cup of water and drink it three times a day.
- Take 1⁄2 tsp of fennel liquid extract daily.
- Make a cup of fennel tea by steeping 1 tsp of seeds in hot water for 5-10 minutes. The tea has a slightly sweet taste, so you may not need to add honey.
- Add sliced white bottom part of a fennel vegetable to a salad with arugula and baby spinach.
Soothe Acidity with Watermelon
Watermelon is an alkaline superstar, with a pH of 9 that helps counteract acidity. Studies show low-acid foods like watermelon bring relief from reflux. Its high water content also washes away excess acid.
Ways to Enjoy Watermelon:
- Cut ripe watermelon into bites and refrigerate. Eat 5-6 chilled pieces throughout the day to ease acidity.
- Blend watermelon into a refreshing, hydrating drink.
- Make a fruit salad with watermelon, banana, grapefruit.
- Mix watermelon juice with coconut water for an alkaline elixir.
With its powerful pH punch, watermelon is the perfect snackable solution for taming the flames of acidity. Keep some handy in the fridge for fast relief anytime.
The home remedies for acidity discussed above have proven effective for many over time. However, it’s important to note that responses vary based on each individual’s unique body chemistry. What works wonders for one person may do little for another.
The key is to experiment and see which remedies provide you the greatest relief. Try incorporating one new approach at a time and observe the results. Over time, you’ll discover your own personalized combination of acidity solutions. Listen to the wisdom of your body and let it guide you towards the ideal regimen for finding balance. With an open and patient approach, you’ll unlock the specific remedies meant for you.